Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Chinaman and the Bamboo Tree

                   http://joan-reese.pixels.com/featured/bamboo-tree-joan-reese.html
The Chinaman and the Bamboo Tree
by Joan Reese

I wish. I wish. For a Bamboo Tree.
I create hundreds of Bamboo Trees on rice paper.

Chinese black ink, makes five shades.
Green and gold watercolor bring the leaves to life.

I wish. I wish. For a Bamboo Tree 
To look and see, everyday, beautiful bamboo tree.

Passing Chinatown Park, I stop and watch
Old Chinaman loving his plot of land.

His prize; six foot tall Bamboo swaying in the wind
Outgrew his little garden.

Toothless Chinaman smiled, pointing to Bamboo tree.
“You want?” My beaming smile the answer.

With small shovel; all his might
Pulled Bamboo from its earthy embrace.

People gathered to watch the Chinaman.
Proud was he, when he presented the tree to me.

My wish granted by the Chinaman and his Bamboo tree.
His gift: too heavy for me to budge.

He lifted one finger, motioning me to wait.
Disappearing behind an iron gate.

Rolling out a  hand-truck, placing in it the Bamboo Tree
His gift to me was complete.

I offered him money.
He fanned my hand away.

My wish was granted for a Bamboo Tree. 
To look and see, everyday, beautiful bamboo tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment